Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A summer of incredible beauty

This summer was absolutely nothing I expected. At all. I knew I was going to be a counselor at a summer camp in Pennsylvania. I did not know that this would include planning pretty much everything, dealing with crazy (yet awesome) kids 24/7, a shaving cream battle where I would be decked from head to toe in the stuff, some challenges God put before me, and the awesome people it would include.

There were insane challenges for me and my comfort zone was definitely stretched but I look back at my time now and see only a wonderful summer full of God and His people. I experienced serving in ministry in a number of different ways. This helped me to get to know my strengths and weaknesses better and also gave me a perspective on how I worked with different personalities.

At the heart of every struggle I went through, there was a thread of intricate beauty. It was made up of working with a community of believers whose core purpose was to serve others. Every step along the way was someone to encourage, challenge and inspire me.

There are so many individual stories I could tell, but I'll do that over a few different posts. This is just the first to unravel some of my thoughts and feelings.

I knew this summer would be different, I knew it would grow my faith, I just didn't know how much. I didn't know how deeply it would set into my heart and take root there. How much I would value our times of worship, our late night runs to McDonalds, our times of devotions and most of all the people I was with.

And now that I'm home, it challenges the direction I'm going.

But God is good, and I can't wait to see where He leads next!


No comments:

Post a Comment